Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Lazy Day Thoughts


So being away from home and everything I’ve know gets me thinking a lot. Sadly, Vizag is lonely sort of town so I have as much time as I could ever need. This culture is intense and I never thought I would say this, but I feel like it’s making look differently at my moral stance of multiculturalism and diversity. Let’s face it, the reason why most people shun other people who are different from them is because it’s hard to understand another person, their ways, and their beliefs. I don’t want to adopt discrimination or condone the justification. I just want to acknowledge the fact that I realize that non-discrimination, diversity, and tolerance is hard – really hard.
I find myself at times making a discriminating line between me (everything that encompasses – American, woman, educated, Mormon, etc.) and “them”. It seems pretty simple to do: you hold on to everything that your culture instills as “you” and define a stereotypical group that does not have those same characteristics as “them”. If only things were that simple! A common saying in our group is “Remember, we’re in India? Nothing is ever that simple.” The Indian culture itself is so freaking diverse! Hinduism itself, though not being the religious preference of every Indian, influences the culture so much, but it isn’t defined and operates on a general feeling and attitude towards worship without any set doctrine or order of worship. It’s like having an infinite number of religions (because, trust me, the different sects are diverse enough to be considered of different religions entirely) under one dogma of belief. It’s so confusing.
I’m sick of becoming someone I’m constantly criticizing for their narrow mindedness and lack of ability to see past themselves. I guess I’m realizing that it’s probably human to be like that. Now, I just have to believe, and act on the belief, that we are to be more than human – super humans maybe?
These are the things I’ve learned about myself since being out here:
·         I love traveling and seeing new things and places, but 3 months is too long to go without seeing a paradoxical American phenomenon.
·         I would be a pretty wimpy missionary. I need my family. I can’t go more than 2 weeks without talking with my family. 18 months would be a major no go at this point.
·         I have so much freedom in the US. As a woman, I think I may not be as extreme with my feminism rants on Americans (though I’m not ruling it out completely). For example: I can walk out of my house in knee length shorts and not get followed and/or stared at. I can exercise with more intensity than a man, I can be stronger than a man, and I can share opinions founded in sound logic that contradict that of a man’s.
·         I love yoga! It’s such a good work out and it makes me feel like I can do anything with my body. Like twist into a pretzel!
·         I do not want to go into a research profession in my field. I need to be working with people to attain a goal. It sucks when I meet people, interview them, find out their ideas and opinions, then I leave them. I really want to help people instead of use them for my own means.



With love from India,
Jaci

5 comments:

  1. We're here. We just don't have anything profound to say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound like you're having a profound and exciting experience though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You dont have to be super human you just have to try to remember the great commandment of loving one another. You can disagree with people or religions or cultures but still realize that all humans are gods children. You dont have to accept their way of life or belief but still love them and respect your differences. I know its a hard line to balance. That's why its so frustrating when people say we hate gays because of our stance on prop 8... it
    s not that at all, we love as Christ loves but we just dont embrace their way of life. Glad you are growing....happy that I dont have to miss you for 18 months!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Mama! Thank you. I agree with that a lot. I'm not ruling out the mission, btw. I do have a year to grow and learn :), but the idea scares the crap outta me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha It's called "culture shock," and it usually starts after you've been immersed in a different culture for a couple of months. Generally, you are excited at first, then comes the shock and resistance, and finally, you come to a deeper understading and appreciation for the culture. It's quite common, so you could say it happens because we are human and look at the world from our own perspective. Someone once told me that when you are in your country, you look at the world through colored glasses (let's say blue,) then you live in a country where most people see it through yellow glasses. After you get past the "culture shock" stage, you will see the world green and you will never be able to see it yellow, but you won't be able to see it just blue again.

    ReplyDelete