Monday, March 21, 2011

Cricket and breezy afternoons

Today I played cricket with these little boys. It was awkward at first because my Telugu stinks and their English is spotty; however, once they saw that I was tall enough to catch the fly balls I was fought over on teams J 




These boys… I wish I could buy them a cricket bat, wicket set and ball. They were playing with a wooden plank for their bat, a fallen palm frond stalk as the wicket, bricks to set their bases, and a water filled ball. Despite the meager circumstances we had a great match!

Pedda Santosh, Raj Kumar, Venkatesh, Chinna Santosh


The best part was when I hit a 6 run (whatever that means) and we won. I nearly got tackled by little boys attempting, for probably the first time, to give high fives all around. I loved those little boys and how they always call me sister (Akka). It was super fun to say little things in Telugu and have them understand me. It made me feel like I was back on Acacia Ct. playing baseball in the street with Eddie, Sebastian, and Aaron, screaming silly things in Spanish the whole time. I will admit I yelled at the boys in Spanish a couple times when they were taking too long. It was such a calm day and it was one of those days that made me never want to leave.
I love cricket afternoons. I love breezes that last all day. I love nights that make you feel connected.

With love from India,

Jaci

No comments:

Post a Comment